NOTE: Due to a backlog of material, BOA will not be accepting unsolicited submissions for the American Reader Series for the foreseeable future. Our open submissions period normally runs from October - November of each year. We will post updates here and on social media when we are able to accept open submissions again. Thank you for your understanding.
For the meantime, we encourage short story submissions for the BOA Short Fiction Prize, which runs from April - May each year.
*Please note that BOA does not publish novels and that unsolicited manuscripts sent outside of the open reading period will be recycled without response. Thank you.
BOA Editions publishes literary short fiction through its American Reader Series. While aesthetic quality is subjective, the fiction that BOA publishes will be written by authors more concerned with the artfulness of their writing than the twists and turns of plot (i.e. the majority of genre writing such as mystery, science fiction, horror, etc.). As with our poetry, the first criterion for publishing any book will be its artistic excellence.
Our strongest current interest is in short story collections (and short-short story collections). We strongly advise you to read our first published fiction collections and previous winners of the BOA Short Fiction Prize, listed below.
The American Reader Series also remains a venue for works of prose about poetry and poetics.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS AT ANY TIME.
- Submit only one book-length, complete manuscript at a time. Page count is open, but 300 pages should be considered the high end.
- Manuscript should be double spaced.
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) with sufficient return postage.
- Send the manuscript ATTN: Fiction Submission.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Note simultaneous submissions in your cover letter and notify BOA immediately should your submission be accepted elsewhere.
- Include a cover letter with relevant publishing history.
- In the case of literary fiction, include a brief synopsis or description of the work. Do not send a query. Send the complete manuscript.
- There is no submission fee associated with this reading period.
Manuscript submissions may be mailed to:
BOA Editions, Ltd.
ATTN: Fiction Submission
250 North Goodman Street, Suite 306
Rochester, NY 14607
Allow a minimum of four to five months for reply