*NOTE: Submissions for the 16th annual A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize are currently being processed and reviewed for prize consideration. Please check back in spring 2017 for the winner announcement. Thank you!
The 17th Annual A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize
August 1 - November 30
Contest Judge: TBA
The A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize is awarded to honor a poet's first book, while also honoring the late founder of BOA Editions, Ltd., a not-for-profit publishing house of poetry and poetry in translation.
- A $1,500 honorarium and book publication by BOA Editions, Ltd. in BOA's Spring 2019 season, within the A. Poulin, Jr. New Poets of America Series.
- Entrants must be a U.S. citizen, a legal resident of the U.S., or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or Legal Permanent Status (LPS).
- Poets, who are at least 18 years of age, who have yet to publish a full-length-book collection of poetry.
- Translations and collaborative manuscripts are not eligible.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, chapbooks, or self-published books, but must be submitted in manuscript form. Any published books of poetry disqualify contestants from entering this contest, though books published in other genres do not.
- Employees, volunteers and board members of BOA Editions, Ltd., or their partners or spouses, or their immediate families, or immediate family of the judge are not eligible.
- As per the Publishing Contest Ethics, as advanced by the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP), any person who has studied poetry in a formal program with the Final Judge -- through a college, university, community program, residency, or private tutorial, within the last two years -- is not eligible to submit a manuscript to this contest.
- Authors of BOA titles in other genres and translators who have been under contract with BOA are not eligible.
Send one copy of the manuscript, our entry form, and the $25 entry fee, to BOA Editions, Ltd. between August 1 - November 30, at the address listed below. Make check or money orders payable to BOA Editions. Do not pay by credit card.
- Minimum of 48 pages, maximum of 100 pages of poetry
- At least 11pt. font
- Name address and telephone number must appear on the title or cover page of the manuscript.
- Do not send artwork or photographs.
- Typed or word-processed on standard white paper, on one side of the page only
- Paginated consecutively with a table of contents
- Bound with a binder clip (example)
- Attach publications acknowledgments, if any.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed postcard for notification of receipt of manuscript.
- Do not send by FedEx or UPS.
- Electronic and fax submissions will not be accepted.
- Neither late nor early manuscripts will be accepted.
- Contestants may submit the manuscript elsewhere simultaneously, but must notify BOA Editions immediately if a manuscript is accepted by another publisher.
- Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. Winner will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
- Contestants may submit more than one manuscript, but a separate entry fee and entry form must accompany each manuscript.
- Manuscripts mailed from foreign countries risk not being received before final selections have been made.
- Send manuscript in a plain or padded envelope. Please no boxes.
- For notification of competition results, include a business-size SASE.
- Keep a copy of your manuscript, as manuscripts will not be returned.
- We advise that you send your manuscript by first class or priority mail.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
- The winner will be announced in spring 2018.
- Winning manuscript will be published in BOA's Spring 2019 season, in an original paperback edition in the New Poets of America Series.
- The winner will retain full copyright of her/his work.
- The paper from all manuscripts will be recycled after the winner is announced.
- BOA Editions assumes no responsibility for loss of manuscripts.
Send manuscripts, postmarked between August 1 - November 30, to:
BOA Editions, Ltd.
ATTN: A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize
P.O. Box 30971
Rochester, NY 14603