The 16th Annual A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize
August 1 - November 30
Contest Judge: Brenda Shaughnessy
The A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize is awarded to honor a poet's first book, while also honoring the late founder of BOA Editions, Ltd., a not-for-profit publishing house of poetry and poetry in translation.
- A $1,500 honorarium and book publication by BOA Editions, Ltd. in BOA's Spring 2018 season, within the A. Poulin, Jr. New Poets of America Series.
- Entrants must be a U.S. citizen, a legal resident of the U.S., or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or Legal Permanent Status (LPS).
- Poets, who are at least 18 years of age, who have yet to publish a full-length-book collection of poetry.
- Translations and collaborative manuscripts are not eligible.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, chapbooks, or self-published books, but must be submitted in manuscript form. Any published books of poetry disqualify contestants from entering this contest, though books published in other genres do not.
- Employees, volunteers and board members of BOA Editions, Ltd., or their partners or spouses, or their immediate families, or immediate family of the judge are not eligible.
- As per the Publishing Contest Ethics, as advanced by the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP), any person who has studied poetry in a formal program with the Final Judge -- through a college, university, community program, residency, or private tutorial, within the last two years -- is not eligible to submit a manuscript to this contest.
- Authors of BOA titles in other genres and translators who have been under contract with BOA are not eligible.
Send one copy of the manuscript, our entry form, and the $25 entry fee, to BOA Editions, Ltd. between August 1 - November 30, at the address listed below. Make check or money orders payable to BOA Editions. Do not pay by credit card.
- Minimum of 48 pages, maximum of 100 pages of poetry
- At least 11pt. font
- Name address and telephone number must appear on the title or cover page of the manuscript.
- Do not send artwork or photographs.
- Typed or word-processed on standard white paper, on one side of the page only
- Paginated consecutively with a table of contents
- Bound with a binder clip (example)
- Attach publications acknowledgments, if any.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed postcard for notification of receipt of manuscript.
- Do not send by FedEx or UPS.
- Electronic and fax submissions will not be accepted.
- Neither late nor early manuscripts will be accepted.
- Contestants may submit the manuscript elsewhere simultaneously, but must notify BOA Editions immediately if a manuscript is accepted by another publisher.
- Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. Winner will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
- Contestants may submit more than one manuscript, but a separate entry fee and entry form must accompany each manuscript.
- Manuscripts mailed from foreign countries risk not being received before final selections have been made.
- Send manuscript in a plain or padded envelope. Please no boxes.
- For notification of competition results, include a business-size SASE.
- Keep a copy of your manuscript, as manuscripts will not be returned.
- We advise that you send your manuscript by first class or priority mail.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
- The winner will be announced in spring 2017.
- Winning manuscript will be published in BOA's Spring 2018 season, in an original paperback edition in the New Poets of America Series.
- The winner will retain full copyright of her/his work.
- The paper from all manuscripts will be recycled after the winner is announced.
- BOA Editions assumes no responsibility for loss of manuscripts.
Send manuscripts, postmarked between August 1 - November 30, to:
BOA Editions, Ltd.
ATTN: A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize
P.O. Box 30971
Rochester, NY 14603