BOA Short Fiction Prize
*OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Robin McLean is winner of the third annual BOA Short Fiction Prize, for her collection Reptile House. See the Press Release for more information.
BOA EDITIONS, LTD.
FOURTH ANNUAL BOA SHORT FICTION PRIZE
Contest Judge: BOA Publisher
Initiated in 2007, BOA's American Reader Series has published more than 20 short story collections. These collections feature voices more concerned with the artfulness of their writing than the twists and turns of plot. In 2014, the fourth BOA Short Fiction Prize will be awarded to a collection of short stories. As with our poetry, the first criterion for publishing any book will be its artistic excellence.
Download the Entry Form (PDF)
* Book publication by BOA Editions, Ltd. in the American Reader Series in Spring 2016
* $1,000 Honorarium
* Entrants must be a citizen or legal resident of the
* Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
* Translations, novels, and novellas are not eligible.
* Individual stories from the manuscript may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, chapbooks of 32 pages or less, or self-published books of 46 pages or less, but must be submitted in manuscript form.
* Employees, volunteers, and board members of BOA Editions, Ltd., or their partners, spouses, or immediate families, are not eligible.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & REQUIREMENTS:
Send one copy of the manuscript, our entry form, and the $25 entry fee, to BOA Editions, Ltd., between April 1 and May 31, 2014, to the address listed below. Make check or money orders payable to BOA Editions. Do not pay by cash or credit card.
* Minimum of 90 pages; maximum of 200 pages
* At least 11pt. font. and double-spaced
* Name, address, telephone number, and email address must appear on the title or cover page of the manuscript.
* Do not send artwork or photographs.
* Typed or word-processed on standard white paper, on one side of the page only
* Paginated consecutively with a table of contents
* Bound with a spring clip
* Attach publication acknowledgments, if any.
* Include a stamped, self-addressed postcard for notification of receipt of manuscript.
* Do not send by FedEx or UPS.
* Electronic and fax submissions will not be accepted.
* Neither late nor early manuscripts will be accepted.
* Contestants may submit the manuscript elsewhere simultaneously, but must notify BOA Editions immediately if a manuscript is accepted by another publisher.
* Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. The winner will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
* Contestants may submit more than one manuscript, but a separate entry fee and entry form must accompany each manuscript.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES SUGGESTED:
* Send manuscript in a plain or padded envelope. No boxes, please.
* For notification of competition results, include a business-size SASE.
* Keep a copy of your manuscript, as manuscripts will not be returned.
* We advise that you send your manuscript by first class or priority mail.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
* The winner will be announced by September 1, 2014.
* The Honorarium will be awarded in two parts: one part upon receiving a signed contract, the second part upon publication.
* The winning manuscript will be published in Spring 2016, in an original paperback edition and an e-book edition of the American Reader Series.
* The winner will retain full copyright of his or her work.
* The paper from all manuscripts will be recycled after the winner is announced.
* In the unlikely event that a suitable manuscript cannot be found, BOA Editions reserves the right not to award a prize.
* BOA Editions assumes no responsibility for loss of manuscripts.
Send manuscripts, postmarked between April 1 and May 31, 2014, with entry fee, to:
BOA Editions, Ltd.
PO Box 30971